McIntyre Elementary Teacher Earns National Board Certification
North Hills boasts the second highest number of National Board Certified teachers in suburban Allegheny County.
North Hills boasts the second highest number of National Board Certified teachers in suburban Allegheny County with 15 nationally certified teachers. Across the commonwealth, North Hills ranks in the top 1 percent of school districts with National Board Certified teachers ranking 8th out of 500 school districts.
Nelson has taught elementary students in North Hills School District for 10 years. She holds a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Grove City College and a master’s degree in special education from Slippery Rock University. Her National Board Certification is in Literacy: Reading and Language Arts.
“The national board certification process challenged me to take an indepth look at my teaching practices,” said Nelson. “I believe that the time I spent on reflection and innovation has made me a more effective teacher.”
National Board Certification is a voluntary assessment program designed to recognize, reward and improve great teachers. While state licensing systems set basic requirements to teach in each state, National Board Certified Teachers have successfully demonstrated advanced teaching knowledge, skills and practices. These accomplished teachers comprise approximately 3-percent of the national teaching force.
Certification is achieved through a rigorous, performance-based assessment that typically takes one to three years to complete. As part of the process, teachers build a portfolio that includes student work samples, assignments, videos and a thorough analysis of their classroom teaching. Additionally, teachers are assessed on their knowledge of the subjects they teach.
There are currently 1,043 National Board Certified Teachers in Pennsylvania and more than 102,000 nationally. Pennsylvania jumped seven spots to rank 11th nationwide in the number of teachers achieving certification this year. The commonwealth ranks 18th in the total number of National Board Certified Teachers – an increase of three spots.
For more information about the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and National Board Certification, visit www.nbpts.org.
For more news about the North Hills School District, check out our school news topic page .
Listing of NHSD National Board Certified Teachers:
- David Barkovich, North Hills Senior High School
- JoHannah Brawdy, North Hills Junior High School
- Debra Everhart, North Hills Senior High School
- Mardy Byrnes, West View Elementary School
- Shannon Diven, West View Elementary School
- Jennifer DiPasquale, North Hills Senior High School
- Jessica Friedrich, West View Elementary School
- Stephen Garcia, West View Elementary School
- Jackie Karenbauer, North Hills Senior High School
- Amy Myers, West View Elementary School
- Carol Nelson, McIntyre Elementary School
- Jennifer Ortiz, North Hills Senior High School
- Kathy Weber, West View Elementary School
- Joseph Welch, North Hills Junior High School
Check out some of today's other top stories here .