Ross Fire Marshal Suspects Electrical Problem Triggered Babcock Blvd Fire
One tenant moving to temporary location and plans to reopen Tuesday.
Although his investigation is not complete, Ross Township's Fire Marshal said he's "leaning" toward an electrical problem as the cause of Friday's multiple-alarm fire which destroyed a three-story commercial building at 3185 Babcock Blvd. in Ross Township.
"We've found nothing out of the ordinary to suggest this was anything other than an accidental fire," said Fire Marshal John Reubi. "We plan to go back to the scene Monday to check on a couple possible points of origin, then hopefully we will know for sure and can let the insurance companies get in and do their work."
The structure is home to several offices, including Arbors Management Inc.; Santucci Insurance; Eisen & Associates, an attorney's office; Massage Centre for Fibromyalgia and the Studio Raw hair salon.
Salon employees were back today to remove anything salvagable from their place of business. They hope to reopen Tuesday, at a temporary salon, located at 3471 Babcock Boulevard, right next to the recently opened Barber's Edge.
Salon owner Dan Burda said he had just finished hair for a wedding party and was about to start up-dos for several students who are attending prom in Peters Township when he was alerted the roof was on fire.
"We had smelled smoke, but we just thought it was a blow dryer," Burda said.
Burda said he called 911 after seeing candle-sized flames on the roof. The building was evacuated a short time later. Burda said he was told to get out before the whole building went up in flames.
The building had several additions, which made the fire that much harder to fight. "There were so many void space in there," said Reubi. "We had no access to those spaces until the fire burned through."
Within an hour of firefighters' arrival, the rear of the building had collapsed. No one was hurt.
Erin Mullen, a stylist at the salon, said employees were able to grab cash from a computer before leaving the building. The rest of the salon, including a baby grand piano, was destroyed in the flames.
"We will rebuild bigger and better, " Mullen said.
As firefighters doused the building, Burda and his staff finished the prom up-dos for students in the parking lot.
"We love what we do," Burda said.
Today a large, homemade sign hangs on the side of the burned out building proclaiming "Team Studio Raw will prevail."
Did you witness the fire? Tell us in comments.
And stay connected by signing up for the North Hills Patch Daily E-mail newsletter.