Across North Hills School District, various students and student organizations and staff participated in service activities throughout the holiday season.
In total their donations – both financial and in-kind, to numerous charitable organizations totaled more than $20,000. Throughout Christmas week, we will highlight some of the charitable efforts of North Hills students and staff:
- Highcliff Elementary teachers and staff held a Unique Holiday Sweater Contest, and students voted on their favorite sweater with a financial contribution. All funds benefited the North Hills BackpackInitiative.
- North Hills Senior High students in Michelle Medic’s Gourmet Foods classes participated in the annual gingerbread house contest. Students, staff and others "voted" for their favorites by placing money in the corresponding container. All proceeds benefited the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- North Hills Junior High students collected 150 personal hygiene items for Vincentian Nursing Home residents. A total of 11 NHSD volunteers personally delivered the items.
- Ross Elementary teachers and staff donated 37 wreaths, which were placed by local veterans and volunteers including NHSD RTI teacher Lois Rebich at the National Cemetery of the Alleghenies.
- McIntyre Elementary students in Heather Connor’s and Kelly Weidl’s second-grade classes made 40 Veterans Day cards for veterans living in the Community Living Center Veteran’s Hospital in Fox Chapel.
For more news about the North Hills School District, check out our school news topic page .