.

Ross Fire Marshal: Lilac Avenue House Fire Accidental

The Friday morning fire destroyed a home at 125 Lilac Avenue. The family inside escaped unharmed.

Ross Township  Fire Marshal John Reubi said the fire, was likely accidental, and started beneath the steps of the rear deck.

"The homeowner had recently used the wood burner inside his home," said Reubi. "He placed the ashes in a metal container, outside, underneath the steps of the deck, and it was apparently too close to some sort of combustible material."

Jeffrey Heyl, his wife, son and daughter were awoken just before 8 a.m. Friday morning by neighbors pounding on their doors. They escaped in their pajamas and bare feet.

"At least we all got out," said Heyl. "That's all that matters."

Heyl and his family are staying with relatives. "We've also gotten some help from the American Red Cross," he said.

It took firefighters more than two hours to contain the blaze. A large portion of the roof collapsed, along with the rear deck. 

The Heyl family has been out late Thursday, with thousands of others, doing some Black Friday shopping.

"The owner stated he didn't get home until early this morning, all of those presents are lost in the fire," Reubi said.

You can see more pictures from the fire on our Facebook Page.

Follow us on Twitter 

Check out some of today's other top stories here .

Rhonda Campanella November 24, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Prayers of strength and love to the Heyl Family.
McKnightmare November 24, 2012 at 03:24 PM
To do that kind of damage to a brick home even. Wow. Who puts ashes near a propane tank and propane accessories? Ashes still contain heat and left over material to burn. Everyone knows that.
James November 24, 2012 at 03:44 PM
@McKnightmare......get bent! These folks just lost everything they have and your on here preaching about fire safety. Get out of your parents basement and get a hobby. I hope you never make a mistake.
Bonnie Kuchnicki November 24, 2012 at 05:02 PM
@ McKnightmare: I watched as my one neighbor woke up the family, I woke up another neighbor who is a fire fighter and opened my home to the families and firefighters that needed warmth. My neighbor bought pizza and drinks to feed everyone. Neighbors (even those that don't live here anymore) came and donated a ton of items that the family may need. My living room was full. There were fire fighters from every department working as one team. From neighbors to fire fighters and everyone inbetween- we worked as one community to help this family. THAT IS WHAT YESTERDAY WAS ABOUT. Your negative outlook on this situation is NOT what is needed. You should have been here to see the people pulling together-it was amazing! I hope when you need help, people don't remember your negativity and walkaway. I am blessed to live in such a wonderful community!!
MB November 24, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Bonnie, you are blessed indeed and so is the Heyl family for having neighbors as kind and helpful as you. I live a couple of streets away so if there are any donated items they may need, please post and let me know. I'd like to help if possible. Thanks.
Jill Cirlingione Sarver November 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Thanks Bonnie - you are a fantastic neighbor along with Paul Shields who woke them up. Thank God he was able to wake the Heyl's in time to get out! God Bless you all!
Jill Cirlingione Sarver November 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
THE HEYL FAMILY from Ross Twp. who lost everything in a house fire, IS IN NEED OF THE FOLLOWING: Kevin is size 8 to10, med shirt, age 8, shoe size 4 or so. Krissy is in 6th grade, 11 yrs size 14-16 small or med shirt, shoe size 9. Kim: misses XL tops, shoe size 9. Jeff large shirt, 32- 34 pants, 9-1/2 shoes. Adult hoodies size large, gloves. If you can spare something, contact Jill Cirlingione Sarver, Lisa Sarver Stipetich, Patti Shields on Facebook, private message or e-mail. Jill Cirlingione Sarver Monetary donations are being sent to West View Savings Bank, 90001 Perry Hghy., 15237, C/O Jeff Heyl Fund. 45 minutes ago · Like.. Jill Cirlingione Sarver NOTE: CLOTHING DONATIONS CAN BE DROPPED OF AT 122, 124, 126 LILAC AVE. THANK YOU!
Bonnie Kuchnicki November 25, 2012 at 05:21 AM
Thanks Jill for posting all of this! I would also like to suggest gift cards (since most of us are working on Christmas). This way the family can purchase what they need.
Savannah November 25, 2012 at 05:22 AM
I am so thankful the heyl's are okay! They are very close friends of mine and the kids do Taekwondo with me! They are the sweetest people you could ever meet! There the best!!
Kevin November 26, 2012 at 01:12 AM
I guess someone didnt like my reply . Like I said quit hiding behind your screen name and let everyone know who the inconsiderate selfish person is
Jeff Heyl January 22, 2013 at 04:04 AM
It is obvious that you don't know me or anything about what happened.I have spent 14 yrs as a firefighter and 15 yrs installing fire suppression. I would never put ashes by anything flammable or put my family in any jeopardy. So if you don't know what happened you should not comment. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED WE REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT. WE WOULD NOT BE WHERE WE ARE WITHOUT YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH. We will be rebuilding and COMING HOME SOON! THANK YOU AGAIN

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »